Sunday, May 10, 2015

Getting here

Nicole is a saint; she drove me to SFO. I found a bar/restaurant that was still open. My heart skipped a beat when I looked at my pattern and realized I was supposed to use size 10 AND 11 needles, not 10 OR 11. Oh well. Someone's kid is gonna get a slightly jacked up cardigan. I'm not naming names. The flight was 14 hours long and as per usual, I don’t know if I slept or just blacked out from the Ativan. They served us ‘dinner’ at 2:30 am and for some godforsaken reason I ate it. I watched ‘Cake.’ Fell asleep, or blacked out. Then I watched ‘Jupiter Ascending,’ which I’m renaming ‘Um… What?’ Channing Tatum has elf ears and Mila Kunis is all on his jock which is some pretty impressive emotional multi-tasking when you consider she just found out she owns the earth and rich aliens are harvesting humans in order to make better anti-aging cream. And Eddie Redmayne seems to be faking a British accent- interesting, since he’s already British.
I had porridge for breakfast.



The stores at the Hong Kong airport  have samples of sweets. It's like Andronico's. :)  




Adults using the kids play area.


That's me... in the plane. 







I thought my stop in Hong Kong was seven hours. I was wrong. It was nine. That might seem like a fine point but it becomes less so when you are waiting for your plane with 60 Canadian middle school students. Yes 60. I heard them talking. 
Somewhere during that two and a half hour flight the results of sleep deprivation kicked in and I was not able to do the relatively simple BHAT to US dollars conversion. 
I’m staying at the International Hotel which is part of the YMCA. My key has a keychain that has to be put into a slot on the wall in order for the electricity to work. They had to come up and show me how do to do this. The room has air conditioning although it takes some time for the air to be fully conditioned.
Last night I found a vegetarian restaurant (that just happened to be in my Lonely Planet) and ate Pad Thai (don’t judge). 
I didn’t sleep well, but that’s how it goes the first night. Right now I am sitting in the restaurant in the hotel and no one is serving me and they said I can’t have the coffee that is out and I don’t know what’s happening because I don’t speak Thai. But the wifi seems to work better down here.

There is a ton to see here. As I was unable to sleep this morning, I was checking out my book. Probably not a great idea. It’s overwhelming and I’m still sleep-deprived… and coffee-deprived. 

1 comment: