Thursday, June 9, 2016

Almost leaving, part 1

I decided I’d venture to the Letna gardens because the views of Prague from there are supposed to be incredible. But it was the furthest distance I’d walk; it involves walking north of the Charles Bridge and crossing another bridge across the river. Just to give you an idea, it took me about an hour to walk there. It was a good day for it. It was cooler than it has been for a while. And it didn’t disappoint; the views were amazing. I’d looked the garden up on the internet and had seen pictures of the actual gardens that were really beautiful but I have to say that it seemed like a lot of big lawns with a few patches of flowers. I’m sure it’s prettier in other parts of the park but once I’m in an environment that is two nature-y, I’m pretty convinced that if I wander to far from my chosen path, I’ll be swallowed by a forest and lost forever. I got some nice people to take my picture. I passed the metronome and sat in the beer garden before it opened. When it did open at 11am, I considered getting a beer, since that is the thing to do; I would likely have done it if it was warmer out. 

So I left and went to the vegetarian place I went on Saturday. (Those sculptures are a memorial to Jan Palach) I got a spinach wrap with pumpkin in it (I’m pretty sure pumpkins are not in season). I looked at the ‘breatharian menu’ and apparently the ‘food’ is to be inhaled (like literally, not just like eaten really fast). The food as quite good again. The waiter was still cute. The restaurant is still adorable; if I was shameless I would have taken pictures of all the rooms. I went to a store and made a purchase for a very important person and then headed back to my hotel.

As is the case at home, I am most tired in late morning/early afternoon. I forced myself to go back out because I’m afraid that a nap will mess up my sleep cycle, tenuous as it has been. I went back to the cafe down the block and had two more cappuccinos and continued to read All the Birds In the Sky, by Charlie Jane Anders, who either lives in or frequents my neighborhood in SF. So far I love it. Only downside is it’s a big hardcover and it will be going with me in my carry-on.
I’ve wanted to make the most out of the Globe Bookstore while I’m still here so I grabbed my laptop and went there. I bought myself an unnecessary journal (unnecessary because I have so many journals, I already bought one for myself, and this brand is sold in the states) because it’s so pretty. I went to the cafe and ordered a beer and then a rather large glass of Morovian wine. It was happy hour; those two drinks came to about $2.15. When I get towards the end of a trip, I tend to be more lax about eating and drinking because if I go to hell with myself, I’ll only have done it for two days, not ten. It was lovely. I drank and worked on my manuscript. The guy who works there is very sweet (American, unless he just learned English from an American) and I feel comfortable among my fellow laptop-ed writer/workers. They only do brunch on weekends but they have breakfast daily and I decided my last daytime meal will be french toast vs pancakes. 
My intention was to have one last Czech meal. I had a restaurant picked out but then I remembered that the Prague Beer Museum has live music. I went there and got goulash again and it was better than the other goulash I had. I nursed a small beer for an hour so I could stick around for the band. I got some great mistranslations done because the musicians on my right spoke English, the people on my left spoke Czech and the people in front of me spoke Spanish. I stayed for the first set, when the place was empty and the few people there were talking or eating. It was two guys, both American; one with a guitar singing and one with a harmonica. So I got to see live music. I would try it again tonight except I have to wake up at 3:30am tomorrow.
Oh and what else have I been obsessing over? How to not waste the food I bought here and still  eat out for my last meals. I have bananas, apples, carrots (which will all go on the plane with me) and cherry tomatoes. And two fruit bars. This is the inane bullshit I waste my brain-space with.
More people have come into the hotel and I was awoken at 2am by some people who came home. They sound like they are slamming and stomping but I think it’s just that the acoustics in here are really good. If I put something on the kitchen table, there’s practically an echo. So I think it’s going to the white-noise maker tonight.
Today I go to the bookstore cafe at 10am for breakfast and then make my last trip into old town to say goodbye to it. :(




No comments:

Post a Comment