Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Since I'm up way before breakfast....

I didn’t think I’d have time to write but I was up at 6:15 so here I am. So let me now say that all this time I’ve been thinking that when I get those messages from Verizon saying I’m using up my data on my phone that I was running out of texts. Nope. I just looked and I have unlimited texts. I’m an ass.

On Wednesday I returned to the Jirihoz Podebrad market to get fruit for the rest of my trip and plane ride home, as well as three more of those yummy fruit and nut bars. On the way there I stopped at a drug store and bought sunscreen. I’m sporting a pretty nice tan but at this point, it was going to be too much. It’s just my arms, chest back etc. I forgot to put the sunscreen on my feet so now those have a weird tan line from my shoes (which smell just as bad as they did in Thailand by now). At the farmer’s market people were drinking beer at 9am. Just saying.
I went back to the nearby restaurant to work on my manuscript. I ordered cappuccino. I was delightful. 

I decided to walk along the water to check out some architecture. I had seen most of it before but there was a statue - the Frantisek Palacky memorial (I just looked him up and he was important in the Czech National Revival in the 19th century) which I had seen but not noticed how cool it was. 

I walked across the Charles Bridge and went back to that vegan restaurant to have (also had to look this up since I can’t pronounce it) Svickova but made with tempeh. I went to the Ginger Bread museum and got a ginger break roll with whipped cream. I was not that good.

I had walked to the other side of the bridge to see the Wallenstein Gardens near the Wallenstein Palace which is where the senate is. The gardens were pretty and had a rather pissed off white peacock. A tourist was feeding it, even though there are signs saying don’t feel the animals. I hung out there for a while. I did some shopping but was unsuccessful in finding anything I can wear besides these three dresses. (I refuse to wear it today. I’m tired of wondering if my stomach is sticking out and I want to be in jeans again.)


I tried to go to a wine bar but it appears to be closed, which is weird because it’s supposed to be kind of famous. The Globe Bookstore, happens to be down the block; it’s the English bookstore and cafe. I had something called a Mexican Colada- it was very good. I also was reminded they have trivia Wednesday nights and so their cafe was booked after 7pm. Then I started wondering if I should have tried to attend that although I know I knew about it when I went there the first time and had decided against it. There were a handful of mostly Americans in there doing work. I liked it and will probably go back to work. 
I’d had this fantasy of getting another Czech meal and beer but I cannot find another restaurant that serves that dish strapacky (I want to try it at another place). I checked out a ton of places and it was mostly very meat heavy dishes that were not calling me. And after my Mexican Colada, I was not dying for that beer either. I went back to another vegetarian restaurant near my hotel and got baked eggplant which was their version of parmesan; it was good but I scraped half the cheese off. I (what is the past tense of forego? forwent?) didn’t go to a place for a drink on the way back and just settled in my room. I thought I’d get to bed before 10 but   didn’t. I’m on my fourth book. 
Today my plan is to go to the park in that neighborhood I didn’t like last Friday. The park is huge and supposedly has the best views. And a beer garden. 




No comments:

Post a Comment