Sunday, June 17, 2018

First Full Day in Lisbon

One of the main reasons I usually avoid public transportation when I travel (besides damage control from my diet change) is that it helps me get the lay of the land. The guesthouse I'm staying at is further away from the action than I thought it was, but it's cheap and forces me to walk at least a 1/2 hour to get to anything.
Yesterday, Saturday the 16th, was my first full day in Lisbon. First of all, I got out of bed at 9:40am. I don't remember the last time I slept that late but I'm willing to guess it's been over five years.
So after having another freakishly small coffee with another pastry, I walked into the main center of the city, Baixa and Rossio. I walked past Martin Moniz Square (which I had been to the day before) and found the Igraja dou Santo Domingo. I went inside. They were having mass. I could just about recognize the cadences from when I used to attend mass, even though this was in Portuguese. I went to Don Pedro square, looked at statues, got hit in the face with a large bubble created by a lone street performer.
I then went to the Praca do Comercio, where I bought earrings... again. I liked the area (picture below with the yellow buildings.) There are a lots of people eating and drinking. They had an enormous screen set up to watch the world cup. A friend recently pointed out that we don't really have squares in the US. I think NYC has a couple but it really seems to be more of a European thing (although I also saw them in Guatemala.)






(I am trying to place the pictures in some kind of order but again
Blogspot is impossible!)
I went and looked at this bridge that my guidebook did not mention but is supposed to be the Portuguese version of the Golden Gate Bridge, except not as nice.
Then I went to a museum called Lisbon Story that tells the history of Lisbon.
I had lunch at a cafe that my book suggested. I had ham (like prosciutto) with fresh chess which was really good. And then the sweet rice that inspired its own blog post yesterday.



I walked to the Museu Nacional de Art, Contemporanea do Chiado. I liked a lot of it. I saw some art that was derivative of Dali and Joan Miro (if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Fuck Joan Miro) but some pieces I really liked, like this creepy child.
I was going to look at some ruins but didn't feel like waiting in the area for the next English speaking tour at 5pm so I went and had a beer at that market again.
I came back to my room and became simultaneously hungry and tired. And I have to leave my room to get food. And I wanted more pork and cheese. I went back to the market and got a cheese and ham plate with a lot of bread (I had to throw a lot of it out.) And beer. And port. And sangria. And a yummy dessert item that was like a macaroon if a macaroon was even sweeter and came in a little pie crust and was laced with cocaine.
I should rename this blog 'Delia eats stuff.'
So that was Saturday. Sunday gets really heavy in the mental exercise department.
I do have a picture of the blisters on my feet from walking. I will spare you. 
Oh and the weather forecast changed again. I over packed again. I will not be needing fleece-lined long sleeve shirts at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment