Friday, June 15, 2018

I'm here! I'm here!

I'd really like to know where they get those group numbers for boarding the plane. On my first flight to DC, I was group 4 (there was no group 5.) Groups 1 and 2 were for special people, but it was Group 3 that confounded me. Why do they get to be Group 3? I bought my tickets from the airlines same as them. I was beginning to think there was some kinda Hunger Games mind control going on, until I found myself in group 3 at the DC airport. Go figure.
Another cute thing that happened is that as we were taking off in SF, my yarn rolled all the way down the aisle to the galley- row 31 to past row 57. The flight attendants all wanted to know how far it had come. (Note to self: planes tilt when they are taking off.)
I get to Lisbon and right away I expect great things because the cab driver was playing Iron Maiden's 'Two Minutes to Midnight.' He said Iron Maiden was like port, they get better with age. We'll have to agreed to disagree on that point.
I got to my guest house to find out there is construction on the roof and I can back out of my reservation if I want to. It's only 9am-6pm; I'll probably stick it out. I had two hours to kill before check-in so I got lunch. Then I accidentally, on purpose, ate a hazelnut croissant (expecting great things, indeed.)
I get into my room which is small but sufficient. I has a deck with a view that does not inspire much but it's a deck and since when do I have a deck. After two hours of trying to figure out a plan for tomorrow, listening to the banging on the roof and barely keeping my eyes open, I decided to go out. I just walked on the main road towards the center. I eventually stumbled into a market that will only be there the next couple of days. There were some gift items but the market mainly consisted of cured meats, cheese and booze. And there were some sweets; I ate a Turkish Delight (it sounds scandalous but it's really just yummy.) I sampled (drank) two kinds of sangria and got a 5-pack sampler of ports (the bottles are small enough for carry on... OH OH OH, I didn't have to check my luggage! Go me!)
 
I did not eat meat and cheese but I did walk around and fantasize about it. (By the way, I still find Blogspot very glitchy and a pain in the ass to use.)
I walked around some more and then back to my hotel. I then sought out dinner. I was wanting to keep it cheap (I already bought myself earrings and a keychain for some reason) and low maintenance. I'm too tired to confront my own English-speaking, Ugly Americanness right now. I went to a seafood place. The lobsters and crabs were very active. I'm pretty sure that fucker was trying to go home. I had shrimp bread soup. Nope, not soup in a bread bowl, like I thought. I got a mound of what looked like porridge with shrimp in it and an egg on top. The guy mixed it all together. It was pretty good, very garlicky.  I probably could have finished it but didn't. Now I'm back at my room, eating Riccola cough drops for dessert.
There's a lot to see here. I think I'm going to pick out just one thing, and from there, see where the day takes me (I'm sorry. That makes me sound chill and easy-going. I'm going to go one place and then spend half the day figuring out which sequence of events wastes that least amount of time.)
Keep coming back.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great trip already. LoiLook forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete