Thursday, June 21, 2018

The Alfama, part 2 (Wednesday).

So I'm not even sure how much I was actually IN the Alfama on Sunday. Today I walked right in like a person.
On the way there, an old woman stopped me to tell me my skirt was caught under my bag. It wasn't like I was flashing ass or anything, but she was kindly advising me so I could readjust. This was all in Portuguese. I thought it was kind of sweet.
The Alfama is has a labyrinthine road system and it's easy to get lost or find stuff my accident. I found shopping by accident (at an incredible pottery/tile store) and then I found Museu Do Aljube by accident.This museum is housed in an old prison from centuries ago but that was used again
during the dictatorship under Salazar when they imprisoned and tortured people thought to be communists.
(Blogspot is being especially difficult this morning so this might be a mess.)


There was a lot of information to read - rooms and rooms of it - along with great displays and photographs.

Afterwards, I ate lunch at a place I sort of found in my book (I think it ended up not the map by accident.) Then I went to the Museu do Fado.



Fado is a famous music that is specific to Lisbon. There are restaurants the feature live Fado. My trainer's brother lived in Lisbon and did a whole project on Fado; I got recommendation from him. Most of the Fado places are in the Alfama. When I checked in with one of them, they said the music didn't start until 9am (information that is really hard to find on the restaurant websites.) I'm not sure I'll be up and out that late, but we'll see. 
The Fado museum was also very information-heavy. They had an audio tour although the number system confused me and I think I missed a lot of it. But again, great displays, very informative.


Afterwards, I drank coffee for an hour. There are many pastries here but the famous one is called Pastel de nata. It's a egg custard tart. It's very good but when you get the the middle, the egginess is very obvious. The weather was overcast today and it drizzled on and off later in the afternoon. I walked around the area for some time. Here are some nice streets.


The World Cup is happening here, so a lot of locals are watching it in front of little restaurants.
I went back to the main center and found a place that serves this cheery liqueur

It was very sweet and very alcoholic.
I again saw the Elevador de Santa Justa, that I will not be going up because the wait (regardless of when I get there) is always over an hour
And I got a better picture of the Arco da Rua Augusta at the Praca do Comercio.
I drank sangria and had dinner at a salad place. I had a coconut pastry at a cafe. I attempted to go to this rooftop bar but when I got there, is was crowded and people looked well-dressed and happy, so you know.... not my scene.
I got a couple of days left and there is nothing I'm dying to see. It's Thursday right now and it's been raining, although it might be burning off. I might try to write today.

No comments:

Post a Comment