Wednesday, August 23, 2017

trying to get this in before the wifi goes out

It has been lovely here. The women I am writing with are kind. Julie Maloney (in the pic below), who runs the retreat is really warm and easy to be around. The food is really. really good.
And I still don't have my luggage. I just washed my hair for the first time since Saturday morning before I left home. I'd wanted to wait until my shampoo got here but that didn't happen yesterday and I was starting to look like someone had rubbed a pork chop on my head. At this point it's no exaggeration to say I've spent hours trying to get my stuff back. Yesterday, it was given to a courier and the courier won't track it without a reference number and 2 more called to Air France has not produced a reference number. So my bag, and the bag of my retreat-mate Patty, is with a courier somewhere in France, with no way to locate it. At this point it's affecting my sleep. And I can't imagine it's doing much for my writing. I am starting to mentally say goodbye to the many things in that suitcase that were not expensive, but in no way can be replaced. And it just occurred to me about 4am this morning I'll have to get another night guard made.
Enough about that. Tuesday we spent the whole day here. I went to yoga, we wrote, I had a gentle foot massage, I went to the pool (courtesy of someone lending me a bathing suit) and did not swim (because, as you may know from earlier blogs, I'm a shitty swimmer). There was an evening stretch but I didn't partake.
Yesterday we wrote again, as we will every morning. I have decided to stop trying to get these writing prompts to fit my project and have fallen into writing mostly prose/fiction like mostly everyone else. It's way to much mental juggling to get in touch with my own process while and trying to negotiate a prompt and begin surrounded by other people who write very concretely. I try to write towards my project on my free time and it's probably not going that well. If I am feeling brave, I'll share something I wrote last night during a group write.
Also yesterday, we went on a hike to the Camino de Santiago which is the pilgrimage route to the shrine of the apostle St James in Spain. There are routes all over Europe and I guess this is one of the main ones. We really just went to look at the view and see the Pyrenees in the background (the mountain range that is between France and Spain). We came back and had a 'night write' after dinner, which is when I wrote the afore mentioned piece.
There is an option here to do a horse therapy session, where apparently you go hang with the horses and let them read your energy and do some kind of healing dance or something. So far three have done it- two had very good experiences and one had a negative experience. I didn't get details but apparently one had the horses surround her and then one rolled on the ground for her (that was one of the positive experiences). I don't feel as judgmental about it as a probably sound. But I won't be doing it. I am getting a massage tomorrow. And today we go to Carcassonne and eat dinner on a boat.
The dog below is named Luna (when I was a kid and played D&D my first character was Luna the Cleric). The room is where we write.
I'm not again on hold with Air France after being disconnected the first time. They have the most obnoxious on-hold music of all time and I'm pretty sure it's going to be stuck in my head for the rest of my life.









2 comments: